Monday, August 16, 2010

The Sailor, part 3

“I love you,” was all I could say. It summed up all the unusual emotions I had been having.
“I love you as well,” Sailor replied.
I didn’t know if anything else needed to be said. He obviously had more on his mind.
“I love looking into your eyes. They are so dark and mysterious. They draw me in.”
I chewed my bottom lip, unsure how to respond or if a response was even needed.
“We have one problem though.”
“Huh?” I was confused and the mood dissipated.
“Are you on birth control?” He asked.
Oops. I knew there was something missing in the moment. There goes my perfect control.
“Oh, shit.” I wasn’t worried about STDs but the last thing I wanted was a child. I was only 18! That’s still very much a child and I have to leave for school in a month. College and children were not a mix I wanted on my agenda.
“I’m not worried about it but if you do end up pregnant, I want to know.”
“Um, uh…” I hesitated. I had to get over the shock of what he said. He put the “p” word into a respective reality.
“I don’t neglect my responsibilities. I’d love to have a family with you but I don’t know if now is the right time with you going off to college and I don’t know where the Navy is going to take me.”
I was getting very uncomfortable with this conversation. I didn’t want to think about what pregnancy and having a child would do to my life. I wasn’t ready for marriage, commitment or anything else that went along with that. Control yourself, girl. I had to get it together before I hyperventilated with fear.
“I don’t think I will end up pregnant from tonight.”
“Well, it’s not my first choice but I wouldn’t fight it.”
“Let’s just wait and see. In the meantime, we can either not do it anymore or you can get condoms.”
“Ok. But promise me that you will tell me the outcome no matter what?” He held me tight until I agreed.
“I promise I will tell you. I should get home now. I’m sure my Dad needs his truck.”

No comments:

Post a Comment